Friday, September 16, 2011

Geometry

I got the name Sonic Geometry when I was 15 or 16. I was at my friend Zach's house, and he had an M-audio usb keyboard, the first usb controller i ever plugged into a computer. I plugged it into my PowerBook G3 and fired up Garageband. All night long I tinkered with sounds, amazed at the vast sound palette that had just opened up before me. I made a simple psy trance track and called "Reverb and Desire" and under artist I typed Sonic Geometry. I don't know if it was a misheard lyric, something I had read on the internet or what, but I had the words "sonic" and "geometry" in my head and next to one another they sounded right. For a long time it was good enough.
One night after playing a house party in Boston, a young reveler asked me why I called the music Sonic Geometry. She didn't see the connection, she said, between the music and the name, and I had no satisfying answer. This question led me on a journey through dusty tomes and ancient records, antique measuring systems and their sacred roots, and ultimately to the deeply metaphysical question, "What is our reality made of?"

To that question I may never know the answer, but I have discovered that if we look at small particles like cells, they have many geometric structures in them based on simple, small whole number ratios that are present all through nature, as well as in art and music. The smaller we go, down to atoms and subatomic particles, the rule of ratios holds true, and geometric forms still spring from the most microscopic of woodwork. This seems to indicate there is a structure, simple and beautiful, upon which we stretch the canvas of our manifested reality. No matter if we look closely with a microscope or step back to see the big picture, the world turns into a beautiful kaleidoscope and we witness The Sacred Geometry of Life...

No comments:

Post a Comment